Monday, August 29, 2011

Mr. T and the 3 Challenges

Mr. T
I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Treadmill (let’s call him “Mr. T”).  He lives folded up in the corner of my guest bedroom.  Mr. T and I have an on-again-off-again relationship.  It has been “off” for over a year now.  I folded Mr. T up and moved him to his current resting place when I was thinking about selling my condo.  He hasn’t yet made it back out to the common areas.  A couple of years ago I joined Jenny Craig and lost over 30 pounds.  When I was consistently losing weight and excited about it, I used Mr. T almost every day for at least 30 to 45 minutes.  I have been told time and time again by various trainers / exercise types (you know who you are) that if I just stick with an exercise regime for at least 30 days, it will become a habit and that once I breach the “magical habit forming threshold,” I will crave it, need it, enjoy it and do it without even thinking, as if the exercise is now a basic part of my day, my life.  Sorry, I have to call bullshit.  If this magical threshold does in fact exist, then I must suffer from an acute exercise habit forming disability (“EHFD”).  I’m not sure what the exact wording of the diagnosis is in the DSM IV, but it’s a serious condition.  Trust me.
So, in light of the foregoing, I am challenging myself this week (CHALLENGE NO. 1) to take Mr. T out of the corner and reintroduce him to the common areas.  I am also challenging myself (CHALLENGE NO. 2) to walk on Mr. T at least twice this week for 30 minutes.  I know this sounds silly to those of you who go to the gym or run (or whatever flavor of exercise you partake in) every week (even if you hate it), but you have to remember, there are those of us out here suffering from EHFD.  We need your help and support!!!!  Damn, I just wish I was famous so I could go on Dancing With The Stars, get myself back in shape and call it a day. 
I am also giving myself a food challenge for the remainder of the week.  My final challenge (CHALLENGE NO. 3) is not to drink any soda (diet or otherwise) for the remainder of the week.  I meant to start this challenge on Monday, but I had my first contract gig interview this morning and there is no way I could have put on a suit for the first time in over four months (plus high heels) and set out for an interview without a glass of Diet Dr. Pepper; just couldn’t do it. This is not a no caffeine challenge, mind you, but strictly a no soda challenge.  I am not going to set myself up for failure and say no more soda ever.  My goal is to give myself different weekly challenges (whether it be giving something up for a week, or adding something good to my diet for a week).  Maybe if I don’t do anything consistently for a month I can trick my EHFD and actually change my lifestyle.  We’ll see.  Sorry if this blog is boring anyone – I haven’t really done that much yet, but I’m working myself up to it.   Exercise is obviously a challenge for me (understatement).  I am hoping this blog will motivate me, but I am prepared for the reality that it may not.  I’m not giving up yet!!!!  Feel free to join me on the challenges!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Get some powdered lemonade and keep a pitcher in the fridge - it satisfies when you want a cold, sweet drink but has virtually no calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Deborah (aka "fitness guru"), great idea - thanks!! Hope to still be able to go on our walkabout tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Amy, I need to go the no-soda route, too, but I do love my Coke Zero in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jill - I know girrrrrl! Me too. That's the beauty of just doing it for a week here and there (hopefully). That way I can reduce my intake, but not give it up completely! I don't think I could ever do that! I loves me some diet beverage!

    ReplyDelete