Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Chance of Rain . . . .

I got caught in the rain on my way back from the post office this afternoon.  It made me think of Ireland.  I had many a rainy walk-about in Ireland, so I wasn’t worried.  Sometimes you just have to give yourself up to nature.  So I did.  I started back towards home.  As I walked, the rain continued to get harder and harder.  And harder.   It became the kind of rain that soaks your hair and starts to drip down into your eyes.  It was the kind where you can’t find a dry spot on your shirt to blot your eyes without wringing a spot out.  It was the kind where your shoes are completely drenched so you no longer care if you step in puddles.  It was the kind where cars drive by and splash you, but it doesn’t matter because there isn’t a dry inch on you, but it’s still nasty when the street juice hits you in the face (Atlanta street juice is gross). It was the kind of rain that makes you want to squeal and run for home – but only if you have a friend with you – and you’re not a mile away.  If you are squealing and running with a friend – you look silly, like you are having fun, and people smile at you.  If you are squealing and running by yourself – you just look psychotic.  It might be OK to run solo – but not squeal and run (or squeal and not run, for that matter – that would be even weirder).  Give it some thought; I think you’ll agree.  Anyway, I finally reached home, stripped down (which is never an easy task when your sodden clothes are plastered to your body), and jump in the shower to get all the Atlanta street juice off of me (bleh!).  Five minutes after I am in the house the sun comes back out and the rain stops.  Just like that.  I am trying to figure out why I was meant to walk home in the pissin’ rain today.  Maybe God was just saying “Move your ass”  or “Look alive”!  Maybe I was just supposed to be reminded that things can get messy for a while, you might even get a little street juice thrown in your face, but it won’t last long.  It never lasts long.  Maybe it’s as simple as “just go with the flow.”  Who knows.  
You might not be able to tell, but I am soaked to the bone!!!

2 comments:

  1. Other possible interpretations:

    1 - Dirty, dirty girl!
    2 - "Don't forget me!" Love, Ireland
    3 - Too much of a good thing won't kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Deborah (aka Pickle), yeah, I like those too. Re #1 - "street juice, street juice girl" is more like it. Looks like it's going to rain all weekend too. Mom and Dad are coming in and I am taking them to the bluegrass festival in Dahlonega - hope we get some dry spurts. Maybe God was tell me "get used to the rain darlin'" - of course he is saying it with an Irish acccent in my mind - can't imagine why!

    ReplyDelete