Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Girls on the Run

Not a whole lot has been happening since last I wrote.  I have been fairly successful with the 10 pounds in 10 days diet.  Although I didn't lose a full 10 pounds (most likely because I did take a red wine break in the middle there and I took a couple of "liberties" with the meal plan here and there), I'm pretty sure I lost close to 8 pounds in the first ten days.  The exercises (once I put Earl the Evil Cat in the bathroom with the door shut) seem to be easy enough (assuming I am doing them right) and I only skipped a couple of days of exercise (I had good reason thank you very much).

Anyway, I went home to Asheville this weekend to participate in the Girls on the Run 5K with Maya's 3rd grade class.  She has been training for the race at school and Lisa, Sarah and I joined in as her "running buddies."  I didn't expect that I would be able to run the whole 5K (as I have NOT been training to run a 5K), but I figured I could run for a spell and then walk.  The 4 of us stayed together for about 5 seconds and then Lisa, Sarah and Maya left me in the dust.  Being Asheville and all, the course was quite hilly and so my pattern ended up being run down the hills and the straightaways as much as I could and walk up the hills.  I finished the whole thing in about 40 minutes.  Lisa, Sarah and Maya finished about 5 minutes ahead of me.  I felt pretty good about the whole thing.  Participating in the 5K made me feel a little less guilty about being totally off-diet for the whole weekend!!!  On Sunday evening after I got back to Atlanta, Lawrence and I walked for 3 miles, so I was definitely getting my fitness on this weekend!!!! 

I took Monday night off from exercise (I felt I was entitled) and then got back on the scale this morning and it looks like I didn't gain any weight over the weekend.  I am still maintaining my 8 pounds. I am going to do the first 10 day diet over again (staying as close to the 950 calories a day as I can) and then start on the next 10 day phase where my calories move up to 1200 per day.  I'll keep you posted.  So far so good.  Obstacles on the horizon are (1) Mom, Lisa, Sarah and Maya coming in town for a girls weekend - JeJu Spa and Disney movie planned and (2) next weekend in St. Louis for a graduation party.  I will likely be off-diet for both weekends so I will be struggling to be as good as possible during the work week so I don't fall off the wagon totally!!!! 

Conference Room C is a bit quiet right now.  It looks like we are winding down on this gig, but we still don't have a drop-dead date for when it will officially end.  It is both scary and exciting to think about what comes next (hopefully something will come next).  I will totally miss the Ladies of the Conference Room, but maybe we will do another gig together soon!!

That's all I have for now - not too too exciting, but I wanted to give a fitness update since I so rarely have any fitness to talk about!!!!

Maya before the race
 
All the Girls (Sarah, Lisa, Maya, Me) and Micah

 
Me and Maya

  
Before the race


No sign of me . . . . they left me in the dust. 

 
Maya chowing down on some oranges and water after the race



2 comments:

  1. Amy, that's fantastic!! Congrats - 40 minutes is a great place to start, especially with the ups and downs in Asheville. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pickle - Thanks!! I felt pretty good about it!! Now I just need to keep the momentum going!!!! I am busy this weekend and next, but let's plan a hike or something after that???? We'll chat later.

    ReplyDelete